Learn how to add a Static Block, followed by adding a Frontend App to display the new block
First you need to add a Static Block.
To add a Static Block:
- Go to CMS (Content Management System) in the top menu and then choose Static Blocks from the dropdown list.
- In the upper right, click on the blue button that says Add New Block to start creating your static block.
- You will be taken to a form to set up your block. First give it a Block Title. This is a name that you will need to recognize later, so be sure it labels your block properly.
- Next your block needs a unique name (may be alphanumeric), called the Identifier. The Identifier competes with all other blocks identifiers on the website, so if you find your Identifier is denied, it is because it is already being used. To make this a quick process, think of a unique way to identify your block, possibly adding your Organization ID to the name.
- Now the fun part–use the WYSIWYG editor to create the look of your block. If you are using a third party service like AddThis to put a share button in your block, then just paste in the code supplied by the third party. Otherwise, you can compose the text and add an image directly in the editor.
- Click on the green Save Block button in the upper right. Your block won’t be visible until you complete the steps to add a Frontend App, described below.
Now you can add a Frontend App to display your new Static Block.
To add a Frontend App:
- Go to CMS (Content Management System) in the top menu and then choose Frontend Apps from the dropdown list.
- In the upper right, click on the blue button that says Add New Frontend App Instance to start creating your frontend app.
- Now you will need to select the type of frontend app. For a new Static Block (you can have multiple styles of Blocks in different places at the same time), choose CMS Static Block and click on Continue.
- Give your frontend app a name and give it a sort order of 1 to make it the first to display the same block area, if you will be adding more frontend apps.
- Next, choose the layout. Click the green Add Layout Update button. A new menu will appear–select All Pages from that dropdown menu to show your categories on each page of your auction site.
- Another drop down menu will appear–you will see many block options. The best blocks to choose from are Top Navigation Bar (that puts the static block right above your content) or Left Column (this will put the static block just below your Organization Profile information).
- Scroll up. Select Frontend App Options from the left menu.
- Choose the Static Block you just created in the previous step.
- Click the green Save App button in the upper right.